Thursday, August 15, 2013

RUSSELL SIMMONS APOLOGIZES FOR SPOOF SEX TAPE

Did you see Russell Simmons Harriet Tubman spoof digital video? As much as it was kind of entertaining, I can understand how people would feel like it brought Black people back many years, but at the same time doesn't it give us some form of power knowing that we spoofed a White man, some of the same tactics that they probably used on Black people many years ago as well. This digital clip is from a new online format that Russell Simmons has released through his Def Digital Youtube channel entitled "Harriet Tubman Sextape"? If you missed it see it below:

Here is how Russell explained his decision to release this piece:

“My first impression of the Harriet Tubman piece was that it was about what one of actors said in the video, that 162 years later, there's still tremendous injustice. And with Harriet Tubman outwitting the slave master? I thought it was politically correct. Silly me. I can now understand why so many people are upset. I have taken down the video. Lastly, I would never condone violence against women in any form, and for all of those I offended, I am sincerely sorry.” - See more at: http://hiphopwired.com/2013/08/15/russell-simmons-apologizes-for-offensive-harriet-tubman-spoof-video/#sthash.t8luuOXA.dpuf

After so much outrage from Change.org, and various others, Russell released the following statement last night:

“I I guess I have a sensitivity chip missing. Lol. Haven't been in trouble since defjam. Sorry if people r hurt" – appearing to be taking a light hearted approach to the matter.

What do you think????

No comments:

Post a Comment