Monday, December 5, 2011

50 CENT ON HIP-HOP MUSIC

Just had a conversation with someone this weekend on why certain artists who were once hot are no longer hot. At the same time you do see artists who stay around nomatter the climate of music. What is the difference? 50 Cent makes points on  what causes the issues of successful artists not lasting and the current climate of Hip-Hop.  Below are some comments that he made with writer from XXL Magazine and my thoughts on what the situation with 50 Cent may be.


50 Cent States:
"The whole culture, I think, is a little…confused. It’s not what I fell in love with, you know?" 50 said of hip hop in 2011. "So my job is to make an album that doesn’t have any holes in it, that is a representation of all of the elements I fell in love with."

The album's have had holes 50 Cent. To me it has lost its compelling fight for survival. It lost it's grit. Instead 50 you focused on the celebrity and not the music.
50 CentFor me, I’m still up against what I’ve done. So in order to top it, I know it’s a difficult task," he said. "You know, I see the bloggers. My audience hasn’t grown with me. They keep saying, “Aw, man, I want the old 50!” ’Cause those people, it would take them on a safari. I was bringing them close enough to the animals, without being able to get hurt. I was taking them into my neighborhood, where you can very well get your ass killed."

I remember sitting in Def Jam offices as an intern and watching 50 Cent finish a meeting with Tone & Poke thinking wow! what a thug. He had a hoodness about him that just made us all want to know his story. No gimmicks, we believed him when he talked of his mom, the streets, and his passion for his music.


50 Cent:
"He’s turning into 50 Cent," he said of Wayne. "He’s going through that process of being successful, ’til people go, 'You know what? Get the f*** outta here. We don’t want you here no more.' Because you’re successful."

Lil Wayne is not in love with the art of celebrity. Lil Wayne stays in the studio and brings us Lil Wayne. We hear his story through his lyrics, and his experience. Do I think Lil Wayne will be an LL Cool J, not sure but as long as he stays true to why he fell in love with making Hip-Hop music more is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment