Friday, June 20, 2014

LIFETIME WORKS ON AALIYAH BIOPIC WITHOUT FAMILY INPUT

This week press announced that an Aaliyah biopic is set to be released by 'Lifetime Television' tentatively entitled “Aaliyah: Princess of R&B”. "The film is based on the bestseller “Aaliyah: More Than a Woman” by former Time magazine music editor Christopher Farley." Aaliyah will be played by Disney's Zendaya Coleman. Unfortunately I don't have much backgroud on who that is really but I'm sure she is all the rave with all Disney watching people. lol. Unfortunately the family hasn't taken to this news well. They claim they had no input on the project which I think is disrespectful as happy as I am that they will be retelling this story. The family actually feels that Aaliyah should be getting a major motion picture where they would be able to contribute. I totally aggree on that as well.

I know it still makes me smile when I see Aaliyah's pictures and performances. She was such a beautiful girl and I wondered yesterday in fact if Zendaya Coleman could even do her any justice. After watching a clip of an interview Zendaya did with '106 & Park', I have to say I loved her spirit. I'm not saying the story line, or the movie will be a smash because we all always get left with the question: is it ever really perfect but I definitely feel she could capture that sweetness, and sincerity that Aaliyah had.

Here is what Aaliyah's cousin 'Jomo Hankerson' had to say about the news of Lifetime releasing this television movie:

"Aaliyah was more than a singer, she was -and is still – an American music icon whose legacy continues to live on and influence today’s music culture, just as Ray Charles, Notorious B.I.G., Selena and Johnny Cash. Considering the magnitude of her fans’ affection alone, she deserves to have a tribute much more grand than a television network debut that won’t even consider the perspectives of those who were closest to Aaliyah."

Disregarding the families and dishonoring the legacies of celebrated figures who have passed on, big networks want to exploit their stories for a buck. We’re here to make it clear that it’s not okay! Lifetime Television is trying to dictate the status of our heroes, our heroines and – in this case – our beloved Aaliyah. We implore everyone to call Lifetime Television, send emails and bombard social media so they know we demand respect for our cultural icons. We will not sit idly by while they misrepresent and reap profits from our luminaries. There is more at stake than the public could imagine.

I hate that the family was not involved even though I love the idea of a movie finally depicting this amazing souls life. SMH. Didn't I also hear this week that Lifetime is involved in another fued with a movie about Whitney Houston being released without family input. What's the deal? Do you agree that Lifetime should move forward with this movie, witout the family input?

God Bless You!

No comments:

Post a Comment