Monday, July 29, 2013

FRUITVALE STATION'S MICHAEL B. JORDAN

Not only am I slightly having a crush moment, but I was extremely touched by the movie "Fruitvale Station". Michael B. Jordan did an amazing job at showing his tender side as a African American male who was gunned down, in plain site of train onlookers by police in 2008. The entire movie takes place in one day, but it's full of moments that really get to the core of who this young man was. Elle Magazine got a chance to get the handsome star to open up about his break out role, and capture what he really felt personifying this character. In the wake of the Trayvon Martin case ending recently with George Zimmerman's not guilty verdict, it really played out interestingly that this movie was released at a time where we all want answers. I absolutely enjoyed this movie, and you should check it out too. For more on Michael B. Jordan check out the interview:

On winning at Sundance:

I just wanted to get into Sundance! I’d never been before. So to win both awards was really just mind blowing.

On this breakout moment:

Right now, every day feels like a dream I’m waking up from, honestly. You work at your craft for such a long time, hoping for an opportunity like this to come around. I’m excited and happy and nervous. You start at a young age, going on auditions, and you think you did a good job and expect to get that role, and you don’t, and it’s a letdown, a disappointment. So you tell yourself to just do the work and disconnect, because you have no control over the outcome. So right now I’m enjoying the moment and the journey.

On meeting Oscar’s real family:

I was a bit hesitant at first. It’s still fresh for them: It’s only been four years since he died. I met his daughter and talked about their relationship. And I met his friends. We hung out in a park and had some barbeque, played some dominoes, and talked. Their stories just flowed. It helped that I was on The Wire because they were fans. They trusted Ryan, and knew he would handle the story well.

On Friday Night Lights:

I love Austin; I want to retire there at some point. The writing on that show was amazing; Jason Katims writes about family and those characters so well. He gives you so much room to play, and for the actor to bring something to the table. And I learned so much from Kyle Chandler. Being in a scene with Kyle is like a volley in tennis, back and forth. It’s like not working at all. We’d have so much fun that when they’d yell "cut," we’d still be going sometimes.

On what he’s learned:

Don’t pretend to know everything. I’ve been blessed to work with a lot of veteran actors, and I soak up lessons from them like a sponge. Such as: Really listen to your scene partner. Be a giving actor. Don’t be selfish. Have a work ethic, like Susan Lucci, who doesn’t take days off.

Read more: Fruitvale Station Actor Michael B. Jordan - Michael B. Jordan Interview

No comments:

Post a Comment